As far as our Comments Policy goes we have none. However in light of the several comments and emails we have received, we thought we should clarify a few things for the BU family.
1. We love comments on BU - we believe that the BU blog + BU comments = Knowledge Sharing. Keep comments coming; it does not matter if you can spell or not. In cases where we need to apply minor edits to improve coherence we will, and we will leave a note in the affected comment to make our action transparent.
2. We delete spam – Regrettably, we have both automated and manual spammers on the Internet which can be a nuisance. There is a WordPress spammer which buckets 99%; the odd ones that slip through the BU household will delete, eventually. There is the odd occasion where a valid comment maybe spammed. In the few cases this occur, members of the BU household will retrieve from the spammer. BE Patient!
3. Relevant links in comments are actively encouraged - Links in a comment can help in the information sharing process. Remember that too many links may cause your comment to be moderated. We will retrieve it eventually, BE PATIENT! Note however that third party links posted do NOT reflect the opinions of BU.
4. We allow signatures in comments - We are aware that this is a privilege which is abused but we have decided to allow signatures. This allows other bloggers to grow. We encourage the Bajan bloggers especially to use this feature. The bigger the bajan blogosphere the more effective we can become.
5. The volume of comments which the BU household has to read, we may sometimes miss a few. Also, we are often asked many questions by commenters. We will try our best to respond but because of the volume of comments we may at times be unable to respond promptly.
6. If a BU family member believes that an important comment may be lost, he or she is encouraged to post it under Submissions which can be found at the top of the page.
7. Write what you know or have just cause to believe, is the truth; (b) avoid malice; and (c) retract and apologise when and if it is discovered that the information is wrong.
Some of you maybe saying that we have a liberal comments policy compared to other blogs. We remind the BU family et al that Barbados Underground (BU) was set-up last year (2007) when there was concern that the VOICE of the PEOPLE was seriously under threat. We will allow robust debate but at the end of the day the BU household reserves the right to delete any comment. Please note comments posted do not always reflect the views of BU!
We ask a favour of some, do not judge BU by the comments of a few.